Apparently we haven’t reached that moment.
Are Republicans angry about Trump’s remarks? Are they offended? Are they disgusted? Of course they are.
Are Republicans willing to denounce these kinds of vile statements and sentiments? Of course they are.
Are Republicans willing to denounce Donald Trump the man and presidential candidate? Are they willing to walk away from him? Of course they’re not.
Although there have been some defectors (and the number is growing by the hour), the GOP establishment is unwilling to walk away. Reince Priebus, Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan will not condemn the man.
If you read their statements, it easy to get caught up by their condemnations of Trump’s comments. But it is noteworthy that they are NOT withdrawing support for him candidate.
That is horrifying. But at the same time, it is not surprising. Donald Trump’s words are clearly disqualifying for the office of the Presidency. But, actually, pretty much all of his words this election season have been disqualifying.
- He has called Mexicans rapists (yes, Gov. Pence, we’re bringing that up again).
- He’s called women pigs and dogs and rated them on a scale of 1-10.
- He has insulted and questioned the patriotism of a gold star family.
- He has impugned a judge based on his heritage.
- He has led the racist birther movement to delegitimize President Obama .
- He has questioned the loyalty of all Muslims and called for a national registry.
- He has incited his supporters to assassinate Hillary Clinton.
- He has threatened the freedom of the press.
- He has insulted African-Americans by painting their communities as war zones.
- He has suggested that the United States should walk away from NATO allies.
- He has been willing to risk the full faith and credit of the United States
- He has called for the re-institution of the unconstitutional practice of stop and frisk.
- He has called for blocking immigrants for religious and ideological reasons.
- He has called for the torture of prisoners of war and for the murder of their families.
- He has praised dictators and their repressive tactics.
- He has called upon a foreign country to launch a cyber-attack against his opponent.
- He has pandered to antisemites, white supremacists, and alt-right lunatics.
- He has debased our discourse, our democracy and our country.
Although I am pleased to see the GOP condemn Trump’s comments, I am appalled that so many of them have been unwilling to condemn his attacks on Muslims, immigrants, women, our Constitution and our national security up until this point.
That the GOP is still not ready to walk away from Trump says as much about them as it does about him at this point. Their moral cowardice is unparalleled. They do not deserve your respect or your vote.